Riding a motorcycle is an exciting and relaxing way to spend your day. It is also a highly convenient way of moving from one place to another, especially in a populated city like Portland.
Submit Your Request
Portland Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Motorcycle riding has become a form of social activity as many riders join bike riding groups. Even though motorcycles are quite exciting and enjoyable, they can be great sources of danger. These two-wheel machines present serious risks that should be prevented. The fact that they are smaller means they can run into other road users and cause significant injuries. Other motorists can also knock down motorcycles in bad weather due to their size and poor visibility. If you have sustained injuries in a motorcycle accident in Portland, you should discuss your legal options with an experienced Portland motorcycle accident lawyer.
What To Do If You are in a Motorcycle Accident?
If you have been involved in a motorcycle accident in Portland, our experienced Portland motorcycle accident attorneys recommend that you do the following:
- Get To Safety: The first thing you should do is get to safety. Analyze your current situation and surroundings to see if you are still in danger or badly injured. Once you decide if you’re still in the danger zone, pull yourself away from the roadway to avoid oncoming traffic. You should also check to see if anyone else was involved in the accident and help them to safety if you can.
- Don’t Remove Protective Gear: Avoid removing your protective gear at all costs. After a collision, you might be in shock, and the adrenalin might prevent you from noticing the injuries or feeling pain. Therefore, wait until the paramedics arrive before removing your helmet and other protective gear. This will avoid exacerbating injuries.
- Call the Police: Next, you should call the police. They can assess the situation and possibly help provide first-aid before the medics arrive. Besides, the police will assist with filing a police report for your accident and help identify the at-fault party. This is crucial for your claim.
- Seek Medical Attention: Get medical attention as soon as possible, even if you don’t think you are severely injured. It is best to be examined by a professional after the accident to avoid complications. You might not feel severe injuries immediately, making you think you are okay. In some cases, motorcycle accident victims start noticing symptoms of injury several months after the accident.
- Gather Evidence: Evidence is vital for your motorcycle accident claim. Gathering evidence while still on the accident scene is always a good idea. You can gather evidence by taking pictures, obtaining a copy of the police report, or writing notes of what you remember. You should also take the contact information of potential witnesses who saw the accident. Such evidence is mandatory when filing a claim.
- Speak With Your Attorney and Insurance Company: Lastly, get in touch with your attorney and insurance company to share the details of the accident. Feel free to share all the key details that can help strengthen the case. Speaking to one of our attorneys at Portland Legal Group is crucial because they will help you file a claim. They have dealt with hundreds of such cases with great success.
What Are the Main Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Portland?
There are many causes of motorcycle accidents in Portland, Oregon. Crashes between motorcycles and other types of vehicles account for over half of accident fatalities in the country. The most common form of a motorcycle accident is when a bike crashes head-on with a car. Unfortunately, this kind of accident often results in fatalities.
The common causes of motorcycle accidents in Portland include;
- Car making left-hand turns
- Unsafe road conditions
- Riding under influence
- Motorcycle mechanical problems
- Bad weather conditions
Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries in Portland
Given the operation and nature of motorcycles, there is a consistent pattern in motorcycle accident injuries. For instance, there are significantly higher rates of the chest, lower extremity, and abdominal injuries after a motorcycle collision. Here are the common motorcycle accident injuries in Portland:
- Head injury
- Leg injury
- Neck injury
- Arm injury
- Road rash
Proving Fault After a Motorcycle Crash
When you get involved in a motorcycle accident in Portland, proving fault is one of the most integral parts of your legal case. Given the challenge that comes with this process, you will need the help of an experienced motorcycle accident attorney from Portland Legal Group. Insurance companies will try to shift the blame to you to lower your settlement offer. Without the necessary legal experience, you might succumb to their tactics and end up receiving a mediocre offer way below what you deserve.
You need an experienced attorney to fight for your rights and negotiate on your behalf. A motorcycle accident lawyer in Portland will help demonstrate that the other party was at fault by proving the four major components of negligence. These include:
- The at-fault party had a duty to keep you safe
- The at-fault party violated or breached their duty to keep you safe
- The violation or breach of this duty caused your motorcycle accident injury
- The injury resulted in damages like medical bills and loss of wages
When you choose to work with the best motorcycle accident attorneys Portland has to offer, we ensure that your rights are protected and all the common are met to prove negligence. We won’t stop until we prove that the other party is responsible for the accident.
How To File a Motorcycle Accident Claim in Portland
It is very easy to file a motorcycle accident claim in Portland. Start by contacting a Portland motorcycle accident attorney at our firm to help you file a personal injury claim in Oregon. With us, you don’t have to worry about filing the claim and working on the legal aspects of the case because our attorneys will handle it for you. Your biggest concern should be healing from any accident injuries and not worrying about the case.
However, we advise that you should call your insurance company immediately after the motorbike collision while the details of the accident are still fresh in your mind. This will kickstart the claim process which will be vital later on when the attorney is developing the accident case.
Free Consultation with The Best Portland Motorcycle Accident Attorney
When you call to speak to our attorneys about your motorcycle accident, you will get free consultation services. This will enlighten you on the best course of action to take for your case. Get in touch with us to schedule a free consultation. During this session, you can ask about critical matters such as legal fees and how long the legal process might take.
Do Motorcyclists Have the Same Rights as Other Motorists in Portland?
The Oregon Department of Motor Vehicles states that motorcyclists have equal rights and responsibilities as other motorists and drivers.
What if I Wasn’t Wearing a Helmet While Riding a Motorcycle?
It is a misdemeanor if you fail to wear a helmet while riding on a street or highway in the state of Oregon. All motorcyclists must abide by this law.
What if I Was at Fault?
If you were at fault in a motorcycle collision, there is still a chance of recovering damages according to Oregon’s comparative negligence laws.
Is Oregon an At-Fault State for Motorcycle Accident Claims?
Oregon is an at-fault state for all motorcycle accident cases. This means that the party responsible for the accident is legally obligated to pay for all damages.
How Can a Portland Motorcycle Accident Attorney Help My Case?
A Portland motorcycle accident attorney can help your case in many ways. For instance, our attorneys at Portland Legal Group can help you file the case and negotiate on your behalf. They will also handle all the legal processes on your behalf.
What Is a Good Settlement Offer?
A good settlement offer is that which covers all your damages and other expenses you incurred due to the accident. Only an experienced motorcycle accident attorney can determine for sure if the offered amount is fair. Never accept an offer without taking advice from your Portland motorcycle accident lawyer!
What Happens if I Reject a Settlement Offer?
If you reject your settlement offer, the offer is considered “dead” and no longer available on the table. Keep in mind that you cannot go back and accept the settlement once it is off the table.
What Damages Are Available in a Motorcycle Accident?
If you have been involved in a motorcycle accident and sustained injuries, you are entitled to financial compensation for your damages. The damages include:
- Property damage
- Medical bills
- Loss of wages
- Post-hospital treatment and care
- Psychological distress
How Do You Protect Yourself from a Motorcycle Accident?
There are several steps you can take to protect yourself from a motorcycle accident in Portland. Our motorcycle accident attorney encourages you to:
- Wear a fitted, secure helmet and other safety gear
- Take motorcycle riding lessons
- Avoid wearing headphones or earbuds
- Stay aware of what is happening around you