Portland is synonymous with bicycle riding outdoors. Most people go on bike rides to get quality exercise, enjoy the city outdoors, or commute from one place to another. Given the efficiency of bikes, no one expects to be involved in a bicycle accident. Unfortunately, cases of bicycle accidents are on the rise in Oregon. That is why our firm offers experienced bicycle accident lawyers that will help you seek compensation. The aftermath of a bike accident can be overwhelming — dealing with insurance claims, liability, and providing negligence of the at-fault party. Trying to handle all that alone can be hectic, especially if you sustained injuries from the accident.
Submit Your Request
Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Portland
Skilled bicycle accident attorneys in Portland Oregon Legal Group will help you file a claim and answer all questions you might have. We know that you are at a loss after the accident, and we will work on helping you find a reprieve. Besides, we understand the importance of exemplary customer service and will ensure all your needs are satisfied. Our attorneys always put the client’s needs first, and you can be sure of a positive outcome in your bicycle accident claim. Oregon laws on bicycle accidents need an experienced attorney to prove negligence, and our lawyers have what it takes to do so. Team up with the most reputable bicycle accident attorneys Portland can offer!
What Are the Main Causes of Bicycle Accidents?
There are many causes of bicycle accidents in Portland. Here are some of the main causes:
- Distracted driving: When a driver is distracted by things like talking on the phone or sending a text message, they can hit an innocent biker. A driver can also be distracted by other road users or events outside the vehicle, like a nearby military parade.
- Speeding: Speeding is a major cause of bicycle accidents in Portland. When drivers speed or drive aggressively, they are likely to knock down an innocent biker.
- Getting too close to the bicyclist: Just like sideswiping, driving too close to the bicyclist puts them at freaking risk. This is because even the slightest touch from the back can send a biker charging in the air and cause catastrophic injuries.
- Driving under the influence: Most bicycle accidents in Portland are caused by drunk driving. If an intoxicated driver causes a bicycle accident that results in any damages, you need legal representation to help you seek compensation. Our bicycle accident attorneys are ready to help you handle the case.
- Weaving through traffic: Drivers who like weaving through traffic are likely to cause bicycle accidents. This is because they are less likely to see bicyclists operating on the same road. In such circumstances, they don’t have enough time to make evasive maneuvers that prevent collisions.
What Are the Most Common Bike Accidents?
There are different types of accidents, and it is vital to know how to approach each one of them. At Portland Legal Group, we have experienced bicycle accident attorneys that are familiar with all kinds of bicycle accidents. We understand that each accident has unique variables, and we have what it takes to help you win.
Here are some of the most common bicycle accidents in Portland.
- Left Cross Collision: This type of bicycle accident occurs when a bicyclist is traveling with the flow of traffic, and an oncoming motorist makes an illegal left turn in front of them. This causes a collision that could leave the biker with serious injuries. Left cross collisions cause about 5.6% of bicycle accidents in Oregon. Thankfully, this type of accident doesn’t result in catastrophic injuries, as bicyclists usually travel much slower.
- Right Hook Collision: This type of collision occurs when a bicyclist travels on the right side of the highway, and a car passes him on the left, then turns into the bicyclist’s path. This can result in severe injuries depending on the speed of the vehicle and the bicycle. The motorist forgets that the bicyclist is in a blind spot or assumes they have sufficiently cleared the bicycle and made the turn. If you have sustained injuries in this type of accident, our Portland bicycle injury attorneys will help you get compensated.
- Vehicle Overtaking Bicyclist: About 2.5% of bicycle accidents in Oregon result from a motor vehicle simply trying to overtake a bicycle on the left and ending up sideswiping or hitting the bicyclist. Most such accidents happen at night when visibility is incredibly low. Unfortunately, about 55% of bicycle accidents that happen under these circumstances result in catastrophic injuries. This is because motorists often overspeeding at night and often fail to notice innocent bicyclists. If you are injured in such an accident, get an experienced Portland bicycle attorney immediately.
Common Bicycle Accident Injuries
Given the different types of bicycle accidents and causes, you can sustain different types of injuries. The seriousness or damage caused by the injuries depends on the severity of the bicycle accident. Most bicycle accidents cause injuries to the lower and upper body parts. Some of the most common bicycle accident injuries include
- Skin abrasions
- Bone fractures,
- Skin lacerations
No matter the kind of injury you sustain, you should seek medical attention immediately. Some injuries might look minor from your evaluation when they are actually serious. Only a certified medical professional can assess injuries and give a reputable conclusion. Seeking medical attention is crucial because it helps prevent deterioration and further injuries to yourself.
Proving Your Bicycle Accident Claim
It is the victim’s responsibility to prove negligence in a bicycle accident claim. If you want to be compensated for injuries sustained in a bicycle injury, you must prove that the other party was responsible for the collision.
It can be challenging to prove a bicycle accident claim, especially if you don’t understand the law. This is why you need an experienced bicycle accident lawyer who understands what accident law entails. Strong legal representation is vital for a successful claim. Attorneys help you to navigate the legal process and represent your interests smoothly.
In proving a claim, you should gather as much evidence as possible. One way you can do so is to have photos of the scene and the surrounding area. You should also have evidence of the damages caused by the accident. This will go a long way in helping your case.
Besides, you should keep detailed notes of your accident, including how and when it happened, events that led to the collision, and what all parties were doing. If there were several eyewitnesses at the accident scene, keep their contact information on file. Their testimony could be crucial in proving your bicycle accident claim.
Proving Negligence in Bicycle Accident Cases
Oregon laws require you to prove negligence in your bicycle accident claim. To do so, you and your legal team must prove these four points:
- The at-fault party owed you the duty of keeping you safe through care
- The at-fault party violated their duty of keeping you safe
- The violation resulted in injuries
- The injuries caused you other forms of damages
In the immediate moments after you get involved in a bicycle accident, our attorneys at Portland Legal Group advise that you call for emergency medical care. This is paramount for your safety.
Emergency medical care can help prevent fatal incidents like death or permanent injuries. Besides, the police can help you file a report that will help prove negligence.
What Financial Compensation Can You Expect?
You should seek justice after getting involved in a traumatic bicycle accident. If you have suffered damage in a bicycle crash, an experienced bicycle injury attorney in Portland will help you understand your legal options and the steps you should take.
When calculating financial compensation for your case, the court considers various factors. Some of them include:
- Property loss
- Medical bills
- Prescription medications
- Ambulance transportation bills
- Rehabilitative treatment
- Loss of wages,
- Psychological and emotional distress
All of these factors are included when calculating the value of your claim. You should work with an established bicycle accident attorney to maximize your settlement offer.
Portland Legal Group Will Help You Get Compensated
If you have been involved in a bicycle accident that was caused by another person’s carelessness or negligence, we will help you get compensated. We have an experienced team of Portland bicycle accident attorneys ready to help you win your case. Get in touch with us for strong legal representation!
When Should I Contact a Portland Bicycle Accident Lawyer?
You should contact a Portland bicycle accident attorney when you sustained injuries due to the accident, are unsure of who is at fault, or if you want legal advice regarding the case.
Can I Sue If a Car Hits Me While Riding a Bike?
Yes, you can sue if you get hit by a car while riding your bicycle. If you sustain injuries due to the accident, you can claim compensation.
Is It a Requirement to Wear a Helmet When Bicycling in Oregon?
In Oregon, helmets are required for bikers or operators under 16 years old. Any bicyclist older than 16 years is not required to wear a helmet.
What Is the Statute of Limitations in Oregon for Bicycle Injury Claims?
Yes, Oregon has a two-year statute of limitation for personal injury claims. This means you have two years from the date of the bicycle accident to either file a lawsuit against the at-fault party or settle your personal injury claim.